Friday, May 6, 2011

humility

Today I used the monthly WIC check for Baby Man at Target:


If you've read my blog for any length of time, you know I'm pretty conservative and I hate huge, wasteful government programs.

My palms always sweat when we are out of formula (and I waited until we were OUT this time) and I am going to use the check. Before foster parenting, when someone would use the check I would think, "Wow, look at that lazy person who can't take care of their kids and has to get handouts from the government (aka their fellow citizens) to do it."

So I look for the most inconspicuous line in which to buy my 10 cans of Similac with the WIC check, and suddenly there are three 3 men behind me, all buying approximately two things.

The girl at the cash register didn't have a clue how to process the check, and I kept saying loudly that I was a foster parent and didn't know the system very well (kind of a lie to save face, looking back on it now).

Like, how many times can I say that without sounding like a moron?

Of course, both Lucy and Asher were with me, and we were buying things we probably didn't need for them. You know the drill: on government assistance and buying brand-name frilly kids' mouthwash, etc.

So, yes.

 That check process probably took 15 minutes if it took one...and 15 minutes is a long time when you're 6 months pregnant and are starting to look it, have a 4 month old in the cart with no shoes on, and two other little ones begging for more toys.

You can't tell me God doesn't have a sense of humor.

8 comments:

MamaFoster said...

Lol, oh how i have been there..... Me and my multi racial brood. Nothing like having to explaine why some of your kids have state insurance and some dont....why u have wic vouchures....the fun never ends!!!!!!

quinnley said...

WIC is notoriously difficult to process, even for the most experienced cashiers.

asplashofsunshine said...

Ohhhhhh how I love love love love this post! Honesty to it's core! Did I mention how much I love this post!?!?! :)

Penelope {Foster2Forever} said...

I didn't use WIC until our last baby. when I realized the mom was still receiving it when she didn't have the baby, I went and applied. WOW! It is a pain in the butt, but formula is SO expensive. I didn't realize how helpful it could be, especially with an infant.

p.s. Come join our foster care blog hop!

Jess said...

I've also learned humility in very humiliating ways. I do think God must have a sense of humor. :-)

Michelle said...

I didn't have to use WIC with my child, but I never judge those who do. Formula is ridiculously expensive!

Our Journey said...

Been there! By now I've done it so many times I could care less what other people think. I am notorious for getting the new cashier who doesn't know what to do. The worst time was when I was getting the things for my older child and the man only rang up with milk (although it was full order). It took 2 cashiers and a manager to get that one straightened out so it didn't look like I was trying to "play" the system. All that fun with 4 kids and people behind me. Yes....humility!!!

Elisabeth said...

I hate WIC. Loathe. But yes...use...for my foster son (especially when he needed formula). I saw a great bumper sticker that I would love to hang in the WIC office "do not spread my wealth, spread my work ethic".