Monday, May 2, 2011

28 weeks

Last night at around 7 I started having what I thought were "gas pains", where my stomach just contracted and I could barely catch a breath. Scott put the kids to bed and I just laid on the couch, groaning and moaning until it subsided and I could breathe again.

DUH! Right, Rachel? Hello, contractions! Of course I didn't recognize them as contractions at first, because I have only had painless Braxton Hicks and I have never gone into labor.

I told Scott I just needed to go to bed, and I took an Alka Seltzer. They kept coming and coming and I was still convinced they were gas pains, so I went to sleep as they subsided.

This morning I was thinking, "Those were probably contractions!" I sound like I was an idiot last night, but honestly, it was the last thing on my mind. It only hit me when Scott asked me how far along exactly I was.

I circled the playground this morning after kindergarten while the kids played, getting some exercise. I had a couple of those same contractions so I gave up. I know Braxton Hicks can be painful, too, so I am chalking it up to those.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and will ask her then. I started thinking about having her at 28 weeks and that that would probably mean a 3 month hospital stay. Then, I started thinking, "What will we do with Baby Man? How will we continue with the other obligations of the other kids if I had her early?"

I may have panicked a little bit and am realizing the time of her birth is probably going to come more quickly than I expect it to.

I have an ultrasound at 30 weeks to check on her growth. If there appears to be any restricted growth at all, they would take her then due to the FVL. The chances of that are very very low, as she's looked great up to this point, but I know it's a possibility.

Listen to me, sounding so calm!!!!!

Just strange to think of her as being a real little human being in there, getting ready to come out.

3 comments:

Kathy McC said...

I noticed that braxton hicks felt pretty painful with Kameron (fourth pregnancy, second viable). I remember friends telling me that subsequent pregnancies were the same way with the painful BH's. It's good to ask just in case, though.

Thoughts for the day said...

Those braxton hicks contractions can feel very real. I pray you have lots of time with her INSIDE.
You don't need all the complications of a early baby and family issues too.
Be calm I am sure you are fine.

Cole said...

The braxton hicks were much worse with Lani, but with each of the kids they felt REAL...I can't tell you how many days I thought I would meet Tristan...many weeks later, I finally did. But, being up and going constantly or not drinking enough water or stressing can make them feel worse. I'll be praying specifically, but do ask your Doc about it tomorrow. She's a fighter...I'm sure she's just getting you ready for what is to come in July!