Thursday, July 8, 2010

gotta love the innernet

I am a member of an online group of women who all have Factor V Leiden. Most of them are completely freaked out about having Factor V, and it sort of annoys me.

I try to explain that 20% or more of the reproducing population has Factor V, and there is a small percentage of women who actually have a problem with it as regards pregnancy. Of course, no one likes reason when they're freaked out, so my advice sort of falls on deaf ears.

I've researched the heck out of it and have visited two separate perinatologists who have worked extensively with women with FVL.

but...

What do I know?

Yesterday I mentioned going to a chiropractor for hip pain, and one woman told me I could develop a clot because if the chiropractor adjusts me in a certain way a clot could form and I could have a stroke and be in a coma

FOR-E-VER. (Think of that kid in that Sandlot movie saying this.)

I would like to point out that I've never had a clot in my life, and that I'd better not move, either, or have s*ex or lift up my kids or do anything normal people do, because ohmygoshicouldgetaclotanddie.

I also wanted to point out that no one in the group is worried about getting in their car and driving across town...which, statistically, if you do it every day for days and months and years, you're more likely to die from.

IT'S ALL ABOUT FEAR.

It's calculated risks, people.

I love the innernet, especially its ability to be able to create mass hysteria over nothing.

p.s. this same woman was trying to get me to buy an electrical stimulation unit, so I wouldn't have to risk the chiropractor.

p.p.s. I already have an electrical stimulation unit, lady.

It's called a vibrator.

10 comments:

quinnley said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Jessie said...

Gotta love the internet! Gotta love you! =)

korin said...

Oh Rach. I love you.

Anonymous said...

Priceless. Doesn't everyone have one (or a couple)

L

Kathy McC said...

You better be careful with that vibrator. It could kill you!! ;-)

gretchen from lifenut said...

What a way to go, right?

Anonymous said...

You've made my day!! I am an OB nurse and you have hit the nail on the head!!! FVL is something to be aware of but it NOT something to fear. If you get a clot, the chiropractor had nothing to with it!! I love your sense of humor!! Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I HAD a clot and I don't have FVL. I was using birth control. It could have been the end of the world, but I CHOOSE to think of it as a new beginning. And if I didn't go to the Chiropractor, I wouldn't ever be able to turn my head. Again.

JJ

Renee said...

Oh my gosh!!!! You are too funny! I love your wit! ha!

Cole said...

Amen Sistah!!!!!! HI-Larious!!!!