Thursday, October 9, 2008

breathe in, breath out

Things I cannot control:

  • the state of the economy
  • the prospect of the Taliban deciding to start suicide bombing American cities
  • Obama's decisions about the Born Alive infant protection act (where babies who survived abortion are allowed to be murdered - nice, right?)
  • the gang violence in the heart of my city
  • child predators
  • the fact that American schools are rated 21st in the world
  • our taxes going up
  • the government bailout-turned-crap-sandwich
  • evil men seeming to prosper (and then reading Ecclessiastes, I read that that has always been true. Nothing new under the sun!)

Things I can control:

  • deciding to go in the backyard and play with my kids
  • making sure Lucy has a healthy snack for preschool
  • getting a family devotional book at the bookstore while Lucy is at preschool, and a new Bible for her. Scott and I decided last night we need to be more intentional about studying the Bible with the kids daily, or it just won't happen!
  • showing others the grace God has shown me
  • getting ready for Good News Club this afternoon
  • the cleanliness of my house
  • knowing that those who love God and follow Him rest in the center of His will.
2 Timothy 1:9
"God has saved us and called us to a holy life - not because of anything we have done, but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given to us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time!"

My new mantra:

It's not my job to worry. I want God to transform that part of my life to something controlled by the spirit. It is my job to live a life marked by an attitude of servanthood and love for others. I'd better stop worrying and start with showing that to those closest to me!

8 comments:

Kevin & Lauren said...

I love your new blog design!

I can't BELIEVE this new Born Alive act! What is this world coming to?? Seriously. And American schools are 21st? Takes going up? Maybe we should just go start a new country.

Emily said...

And that would be why I love you... ;)

Joy said...

Sorry Kevin, all other countries on earth have problems, too.

BUT, someday, I will live in a problem-free place. :) It's a promise I've learned about in the Bible. I'm excited about it!

Travels with Jerky said...

I'm an Illinois resident and professor who wanted to share info from fact check:

Illinois law has long stated that if an abortion is performed when the fetus is deemed to be viable, the doctor must do the following:

Choose the method of abortion least likely to harm the fetus.

Have in attendance a second doctor who can immediately take over care of the child if it's born alive.

Use every available means to keep any born-alive child living and healthy.

To do otherwise constitutes a Class 3 felony, which carries a sentence of two to five years in prison.

That's been the law in Illinois since 1975. What Obama voted against was legislation that would have extended the law's protection to any aborted fetus that shows any sign of life, even if doctors are certain that it cannot survive.

Thanks for the opportunity to "fact check."

Deborah

marcia said...

The problem with that, Deborah, is that doctors are fallible and sometimes make incorrect assessments. If that small baby has no chance of survival, it simply will not survive resuscitative efforts or aggressive support. However, if those efforts are successful, a precious human life will be spared despite it's mother's plan to eradicate it. If she still opts not to raise that child, there are many loving homes waiting to adopt him or her.
I applaud the state of Illinois for having those safeguards in place, but your defense/explanation of Obama's stance ( or anyone else who supports the same practice) simply does not hold water with me. Obviously if that abortion attempt takes place at 12, 16, or even 20 weeks gestation, when that child's organs are not developed enough to sustain life outside the womb, even with the support of the best technology we know today, that is a moot point. But the 24-week viability window of even just a couple of years ago, is constantly being pushed back by babies who beat all the odds and survive ( and thrive!) at even younger ages. Granted, some of those children live with lifelong developmental and medical issues, but that does not diminish their value as human beings, created in the image of God, who are a huge blessing to the families that love and care for them. But there are also increasing numbers of micro-preemies who spend months in the NICU, and run off to kindergarten five-six years later with absolutely no differences from their classmates.
While we have become ever-better at rationalizing the moral decisions we make for our convenience in modern America, those decisions are still mind-numbing rationalizations.

Pipsylou said...

Did you REALLY just say, "Choose the method of abortion least likely to harm the fetus?"

What does that mean, exactly? Isn't the whole POINT of abortion to kill the fetus?

**scratches head**

Stacy said...

Um, I'm supposed to be doing my homework...I have no time!, so don't ask me why I'm reading your comments. Anyhow, I chuckled when I read your response comment above..imagining you scratching your head!

Anyhow, I ditto all those same things that you listed as being out of our control. Btw, I'm pro-life, and I just have a hard time in general with abortion. I'm sure you know the grisly details where doctors can still see the beating heart via ultrasound, even though the baby's legs or arms had already been vacuumed out. Obviously, that little tiny human being feels PAIN and that breaks my heart.

Stacy

PS. My kids really love the Jesus Storybook Bible...it's written in such a clever way, and it even makes us all lol on occasion..too cute.

Take care!

Jen said...

I know that we're #21 in the world in education, BUT we're the only country trying to education EVERY SINGLE CHILD! The rest of the countries have tests that force the child into a certain track. We're taking everyone and trying to make them the best of their ability. It makes a HUGE difference when you have kids from loving stable homes and those that are trying to work 40+ hours a week to help with the bills AND go to school.